--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Harui" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> HorizontalList requires that all items be the same width and
height.  At
> startup, it measures the first one, and uses the measurements for
> columnWidth and rowHeight.

Is there a way to get it to just use the first instance it creates,
rather than creating it, destroying it, and creating it again?  The
double creation is very expensive, since the object is so deeply
nested.  Obviously, if the draw of the sub-objects doesn't happen, it
can't figure out how big it needs to be, so even if I could tell the
difference between a "measurement" draw and a "real" draw it would do
me no good to defer the draw until the "real" draw.

> If you're subclassing, you can set itemsNeedMeasurement=true and
call
> invalidateProperties to force a re-measure and new width/height.

Would that be on the itemRenderer or the HorizontalList?

> I haven't looked at your code yet.  It's a busy week for me so I'll
wait
> to hear if you still need me to dig through it.

Naturally, I wouldn't have spent all this time on this if I didn't
want to do it right, so ultimately I would like to get to the bottom
of it.  But for now it is patched to work acceptably, so if you don't
have time, you don't have time.

Thanks;

Amy