After struggling for some time to identify the problem, I finally reduced the
issue to this:
Flex will apply either of the following two styles, one for Button, the other
for LinkButton,
but not both at the same time. If I remove the Button style, the LinkButton
will render as
intended; if I remove the LinkButton, the Button will render as intended. But
when both are
present, LinkButton will not render as intended. Am I missing something here?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml"; layout="absolute"
backgroundColor="black">

<mx:Style>

LinkButton {
   paddingLeft: 19;
   paddingRight: 20;
   rollOverColor: #330000;
   selectionColor: #000000;
   color: #dc6a1d;
   textRollOverColor: #f1aa3c;
   textSelectedColor: #fb6521;
   fontSize: 12;
}

Button
{
   highlightAlphas: 0.18, 0;
   fillAlphas: 0.6, 0.4, 0.54, 0.5;
   fillColors: #201f41, #170e50, #84062a, #6d0505;
   color: #fb6521;
   textRollOverColor: #fa6520;
   textSelectedColor: #330000;
   borderColor: #1f1b42;
   themeColor: #330000;
   fontSize: 14;
   fontFamily: sanSerifFont;
   color: #F1AA3C;
}

        </mx:Style>
        <mx:HBox>

        <mx:LinkButton  styleName="LinkButton" label="One"/>
        <mx:LinkButton  styleName="LinkButton" label="Two"/>
        <mx:LinkButton  styleName="LinkButton" label="Three"/>
        <mx:Button styleName="Button"/>
        <mx:Button styleName="Button"/>
        <mx:Button styleName="Button"/>

        </mx:HBox>