Thanks for the replies.  This is (sort of) the direction I was headed,
although I like your specific idea below.  I guess I'm still holding on
to the synchronous world of coding I came from. ;)  I feel like I'm
always having to come up with ways to deal with Flex's asynchronous
behavior, and it seems to require alot of additional code/handling (in
my opinion).

Anyway, thanks for the specific "counter" idea below -- I'll give it a
shot!

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "jerusalem_pilgrim"