> it seems that there is a maximum number of *.as or *.mxml
> files that can be passed in to the compc command

There shouldn't be. Can you please file a bug on this?

> how would I automate the creation of the manifest file?

> I dont want to update it each time I create a new file.

Sorry, Flex doesn't provide any scripts for automatically generating a
manifest. The SDK team maintains our manifests by hand and hasn't find
it enough of a burden to bother automating the process. But a manifest
has a simple format and you should be able to generate one based on a
directory enumeration. You can use Perl, Python, or whatever your
favorite scripting language is, and call your script using Ant's <exec>
task.

Gordon Smith

Adobe Flex SDK Team