I believe this is a restriction brought on by the Adobe developers.
You cannot do this in MXML:

    <mx:Panel id="panel">
        <mx:Alert>
        </mx:Alert>
    </mx:Panel>

If you try to compile, you will get this message:

"Could not resolve <mx:Alert> to a component implementation."

To instantiate an Alert in MXML the proper coding would be:
    <mx:Panel id="panel">
        <mx:Button click="mx.controls.Alert.show('hello')"/>
    </mx:Panel>

Basically I would like to create a similar component that would be
used for configuring some task modally and presumably extending it
off the Alert or TitleWindow component.

G'day Mike

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, Maciek Sakrejda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>