ServiceFacade.getInstance().loadCats();

  public  function loadCats():void {
    var handlers : IResponder = new
    mx.rpc.Responder(onResults_loadCatalog,fault);
    getDelegate(handlers).loadCatalog();
  }

Looks like a terrible solution.

I agree with your comments regarding the Controller and Commands but
replacing them with a singleton that defines all your applications
responder methods doesn't seem very manageable.