I've got a sequence of images loaded in Flex - for this example let's
say I've populated an array ("imageArray") with new Image objects.

I've got an Image control ("myImage") whose source is set on
applicationComplete.

During the application run, I'd like to be able to set the source of the
image control dynamically (in this case, based on mouse position) to the
source of one of the objects in the array. For instance:

myImage.source=imageArray[0].source;

The problem is, when I change image source there's a brief flash (no pun
intended) when the image control updates - it seems to briefly show the
background of the parent control (in this case a canvas with a solid
color). This makes for a jarring transition between each image as it's
loaded.

I get the same effect even in the simplest of cases - just setting
myImage.source explicitly, forgetting about the array.

How can I update the source of an Image control without this strobing
effect? Or am I going about it the wrong way?

My Flex experience is limited to a few months of frontend UI development
- lots of data binding and layout - and this is a new one on me.

Thanks for any help,

Roger Howard