I'm sure I'm going at this wrong, but don't know what to do...

I'm setting the data of a custom component with an image element.  When the
component finishes starting up the image grabs its source from the data
provider and a function catches the IOError event and throws its text as an
exception so the application can know about the failure.

The problem I'm having is with the delay between the set data and creation
complete of the component.  By the time the image tries to access the source
(and fails), my application is past that try/catch block and can't handle
it.

What's the right way to do this?  Better yet, is there a way in flex to try
to access various different kinds of files to see if the address is valid?

Thanks!
-dennis