You can only open a socket if the server at the other hand has allows it on
port 843. As far as I know you can only do simple requests and have no
access to the response in terms of header and body.

>If I can't do any of that, are there plans to allow AIR apps to be Java
with a Flex / Flash
>UI and some sort of nice communication layer between them?

I am not sure if there are any plans like this. I think the top
most requested feature is the ability to run 3rd party applications
with AIR, but so far it is not possible. I am not aware of any java
application that has a Flash player embedded for it GUI, not sure if it
exists though.

Greetz Erik