Dude, you rule!

Thanks soooo much!

Dnk

On 25-May-08, at 9:12 PM, Josh McDonald wrote:

And don't forget to add:

    import mx.core.Application;

Up the top :)

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 2:11 PM, Josh McDonald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Ok mate, here's the problem:

public function FlexbController()
        {
            //turn the key, start it up....
            addEventListener( FlexEvent.CREATION_COMPLETE, onInit );
            trace("Controller");
        }

What you need, is this:

public function FlexbController()
        {
            //turn the key, start it up....
Application .application.addEventListener( FlexEvent.CREATION_COMPLETE, onInit );
            trace("Controller");
        }

The reason for this, is the way CREATION_COMPLETE is dispatched - which is from the bottom of your display tree upward. It has to be this way, because it's dispatched only after all the children of a component have already had CREATION_COMPLETE dispatched. So first it is dispatched on all instantiated UIComponents that don't have any children. Then (probably on the next frame, but ask Alex) it's dispatched on their container components, and so on and so forth until finally (as far as we care) it's dispatched on your root Application. It might be then dispatched on a few containers up to the systemManager, but again Alex would know better than me.

Now what happens in your case, CREATION_COMPLETE is dispatched on your FlexbController, and then you're dispatching the GET_NEWS_EVENT immediately. But, the current instance of FlexbController is not yet part of the displayTree, because it hasn't been completely added to the Application's children yet. So the event has nowhere to bubble to - and never reaches the Application, or the SystemManager.

But, if you defer onInit() until CREATION_COMPLETE is dispatched on the Application itself, you know that the display tree is complete (in its initial layout at least), and you can safely dispatch the event and have it bubble all the way to the top of the tree at SystemManager.

-J