My recommendation was to copy the datatip code from DGIR to your
subclass of Label.

________________________________

From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of djbrown_rotonews
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 10:00 AM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [flexcoders] Re: dataTipRenderer available for DataGrid?

the code, as presented (using a Label), will reach the toolTipEvent
(as desired), but only after I put a toolTip=" " at the end of the
<mx:Label text="{data.pnrLocator}"
tooolTipCreate="outerDocument.createPNRToolTip(event)"/>

line.

thanks alex!

, "djbrown_rotonews"

<mailto:flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com> , "Alex Harui" <aharui@> wrote:

> > In the future, please send code that compiles.
> >

> > I'd forgotten that dataTip functionality is in the renderer and
> not the
> > DG. If you look at DataGridItemRenderer it has its own dataTip
> code.
> > Label doesn't which is why it isn't set up to get the tooltip
> events.
> > I'd probably copy code from DGIR to a subclass of Label.
> >

> > ________________________________
> >
> > From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
<mailto:flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com>
<mailto:flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com>  <mailto:flexcoders%
> 40yahoogroups.com>
> > , "Alex Harui" <aharui@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Busy week. I'll try to take a look next week maybe.
> > >

> > > ________________________________
> > >
> > > From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
<mailto:flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com>  <mailto:flexcoders%
> 40yahoogroups.com>
> >
> > [mailto:flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
<mailto:flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com>  <mailto:flexcoders%
> 40yahoogroups.com>
> > ] On
> > > Behalf Of djbrown_rotonews
> > > Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2008 6:49 AM
> > > To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
<mailto:flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com>  <mailto:flexcoders%
> 40yahoogroups.com>
> > > Subject: [flexcoders] Re: dataTipRenderer available for
DataGrid?

> > > what am I missing then? My code never gets to the the
> > > createPNRToolTip function referenced in the toolTipCreate
event
> > > handler. I messed around with the showDataTips property on the
> > grid
> > > itself, and it didn't change the behavior.
> > >
> > > <mx:DataGrid width="100%" height="100%"
> > > dataProvider="{pnrsToProcess}">
> > > <mx:columns>
> > > <mx:DataGridColumn headerText="PNR" dataField="pnrLocator">
> > > <mx:itemRenderer>
> > > <mx:Component>
> > > <mx:Label text="{data.pnrLocator}"
> > > toolTipCreate="outerDocument.createPNRToolTip(event)"/>
> > > </mx:Component>
> > > </mx:itemRenderer>
> > > </mx:columns>
> > > </mx:DataGrid>
> > >
> > > public function createPNRToolTip(event:ToolTipEvent):void {
> > >
> > > }
> > > --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
<mailto:flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com>
> > <mailto:flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:flexcoders%
> > 40yahoogroups.com>

<mailto:flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com>
> > <mailto:flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:flexcoders%
> > 40yahoogroups.com>
> > >
> > > [mailto:flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
<mailto:flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com>
> > <mailto:flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:flexcoders%
> > 40yahoogroups.com>
> > > ] On
<mailto:flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com>  <mailto:flexcoders%
> 40yahoogroups.com>
> > <mailto:flexcoders%
> > 40yahoogroups.com>
> DataGrid?

I've
> > used
> see
> > > the
> > appear
> > situation
> > > column

<mailto:flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com>
> > <mailto:flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com>
> > > <mailto:flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:flexcoders%
> > > 40yahoogroups.com>

> and

<mailto:flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com>
> > <mailto:flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com>
> > > <mailto:flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:flexcoders%
> > > 40yahoogroups.com>

<mailto:flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com>
> > <mailto:flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com>
> > > <mailto:flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:flexcoders%
> > > 40yahoogroups.com>
<mailto:flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com>
> > <mailto:flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:flexcoders%
> > 40yahoogroups.com>
> > > <mailto:flexcoders%
> > > 40yahoogroups.com>
DataGrid?