It might be hard to see, but the single quotes are actually there.  If I put in
some arbitrary
spaces, you can see them:

var id:String = "someValue";
consumer.selector = "ID = '   "+id+"   '   ";  // single quotes around variable
id

Or did you mean I need single quotes in the java setHeader method as well?