I have seen a few posts about setting up flex to run on a headless server but
I'm a bit
confused about how to actually do this or even if this will fix my problem.
This is what the
documentation says should be done to set things up:

---

define the value of the <headless-server> tag in the flex-config.xml file.
Setting this
property to true is required to support fonts and SVG images in a nongraphical
environment. The <headless-server> tag is a child tag of <compiler>. The
following
example sets <headless-server> to true:

<headless-server>true</headless-server>

---

Seems straight forward enough, but when I deploy to the server using a war
file, I am not
providing the flex-config.xml file.  Do I need to get my sys admin to update
this on the
server manually?

What I am doing is launching flex from the server as a thread to run in the
background
and save snapshots of charts drawn in flex every time new data is sent from the
server to
the flex app running in the browser.  So in this instance of flex, no user is
involved.  The
server is a headless rack mounted computer.