I posted a more detailed example with comments (plz see). BTW, I'm
using Flex 3 SDK.  I googled a solution for Flex 2 but it doesn't work
with Flex 3.

Hey I don't want to be anonymous =).  My name is Irving.

Thanks.

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Andriy Panas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi stranger bc24fl,
>
>   Mike Schmalle had proposed you the exact solution, that we are
currently
> using within our project based on Flex 2 SDK to enable/ disable menu
items
> in MenuBar component.
>
>    I do not understand without looking at your code, what is going
on wrong
> with your MenuBar. Can you post a dummy sample of the code online to
> illustrate your problem?
>
>   SWF with View source option enabled would be nice.
>
> ps
>   Why do you post anonymously to this list, BTW? I would like to
reference
> you by your name ;)
> Med venlig hilsen / Best regards
> Andriy Panas
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> On 03/06/2008, bc24fl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >   I'm really struggling for help. We have done everything to try and
> > get a solution to this problem including:
> >
> > 1. Posting on public forums / mailing lists
> > 2. Purchased books on AS3 and Flex
> > 3. Signed up for a year subscription to Lynda.com
> > 4. Purchased support from experts-exchange.com
> > 5. Purchased support directly from Adobe where supposedly it's 3 day
> > response (no resolution) and we have received no response for a week
> > (business days).
> >
> > What in the world am I doing wrong? This question doesn't appear to
> > be rocket science as I've done this (enable/disable menu items) in
> > many other programming languages.
> >
> > As you can see I have exhausted every (that I know of) resource. What
> > else am I to do? My employer is upset and now considering dropping
> > the language altogether and I don't want that.
> >
> > Any advice would BE MUCH APPRECIATED.
> >
> > End rant.
> >

> > --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com <flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com>,
"bc24fl"
> > <bc24fl@> wrote:
> > >
> > > I have the following XML data defined in my app:
> > >
> > > =========
> > > <!-- Define the menu data. -->
> > > <mx:XML format="e4x" id="myMenuData">
> > > <root>
> > > <menuitem id="menuDrill" label="Drill =>" >
> > > <menuitem id="menuDown" label="Down" toggled="false"
> > > enabled="true"/>
> > > <menuitem id="menuUp" label="Up" toggled="false"
> > > enabled="true"/>
> > > </menuitem>
> > > <menuitem type="separator"/>
> > > <menuitem label="Lock / Unlock" type="check"
> > toggled="false"/>
> > > <menuitem type="separator"/>
> > > <menuitem label="Reset Graph" toggled="false"/>
> > > </root>
> > > </mx:XML>
> > >
> > > I can statically disable one of the items by setting
enabled="false",
> > > however I need to disable the item by using Action Script 3.0.
> > >
> > > I've tried using dataDescriptor like so but it does not work:

myMenu.dataDescriptor.setEnabled(myMenuData.menuDrill.menuDown,false);