The docs say:

If the horizontalScrollPolicy is ScrollPolicy.AUTO, the horizontal
scroll bar appears when all of the following are true:

    * One of the container's children extends beyond the left edge or
right edge of the container.
    * The clipContent property is true.
    * The width and height of the container are large enough to
reasonably accommodate a scroll bar.

And sure enough, if I set a static minimum on tiledView, I get the
desired effect.

If I expand a tile and change the minimum to something else, any idea
which invalidate method(s) I should call?