I came to find out that this is a general error that gets sent to Flex when
an error is getting generated by the server.
Essentially, the error is throwing an error.  I'd suggest using Fiddler to
see what the communication is and what the actual error is.
A limitation of IE/Firefox hosting a Flex app is that the browsers do not
send the data to the Flex app.

What needs to happen is that you need to try to send the fault back as a 200
MSG_OK that contains the fault information.  Flex will then parse the info
and throw an error.

That's what I had to do recently using Axis and I'd assume Spring is
similar.

Mark