"Are you really asking whether remote content will be allowed
application-level access to the computer?"

In essence, yes. Or at least the ability to trust remote modules
somehow.

I thought about this some more last night after I had posted my original
message, and I'm pretty sure that this solution is for a problem that is
quite specific. But it would be nice to discuss and expand upon.

The example I've been given in the past is that man in the middle
attacks are the main reason for not allowing remote module loading in
AIR. Fair enough I understand the risks. But when the AIR file is
downloaded for the first time, exactly the same caveat applies, how do
you know that what you are downloading is what you think you are
downloading?

The counter argument is that there is a user agreement so if the
downloaded application steals every password they have it's their fault.
Fair enough, that's the standard practice.

I'd suggest that we extend this paradigm so that the application can
download remote modules and trust them, as long as the user gives their
agreement.

Counter argument, bad User experience (see Vistas constant "Are you sure
you want to do this" dialogs).

So the only real solution to this is to apply some level of trust to the
remote modules whether it be signing, encryption, or whatever. After
all, if you cannot trust the modules you download, how can you trust the
AIR files you download?

But that is a little scary, so I stopped thinking about it ;)

Gk.

Gregor Kiddie
Senior Developer
INPS

Tel:       01382 564343

Registered address: The Bread Factory, 1a Broughton Street, London SW8
3QJ

Registered Number: 1788577

Registered in the UK

Visit our Internet Web site at www.inps.co.uk
<blocked::http://www.inps.co.uk/>

The information in this internet email is confidential and is intended
solely for the addressee. Access, copying or re-use of information in it
by anyone else is not authorised. Any views or opinions presented are
INPS or any of its affiliates. If you are not the intended recipient
please contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]