The official explanation is:
/Flash Player 9,0,115,0 introduces several changes to the way socket
policy files work. These changes are primarily to support the goal of
DNS hardening
<http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/articles/fplayer9_security.html#goal_dns>,

helping to ensure that ActionScript cannot be used as a means for a DNS
rebinding attack that results in an unauthorized socket connection./

I still have no idea on what is DNS hardening. It's too complicated for me.

Josh McDonald wrote:

> Makes sense, I just assumed it'd go in over http to look for the
> policy file. Thanks for clearing that up though.
>

> -Josh
>
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 11:38 AM, ZHOU Zhen-yu
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:
>
>     I'm using Socket, not XMLSocket.
>     But I think it doesn't matter.
>
>     It depends on the browser and the version of flashplayer.
>     And I found those C++ codes are the only way to make it work in
>     all the
>     browsers.
>
>     You can still make an AIR mail client.
>     But if you want to make an online client. The owner of that mail
>     server
>     will have the right to ban it.
>     That's the reason they did that, I guess.
>
>     Josh McDonald wrote:
>     >
>     > Really? Wow, that doesn't smell right to me, why on earth did
>     they do
>     > that? That'd make it impossible to connect to mail servers and such
>     > unless they support looking for a policyfile request.
>     >
>     >
>     > You're not using an xmlSocket? That shouldn't work for http requests
>     > as the data packets are supposed to be all XML afaik.
>     >
>     > Unfortunately while I know a fair bit about http protocol, I'm a
>     > little out of my depth on Flex sockets still. Getting there
>     though :)
>     >
>     > -Josh
>     >
>     > On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:47 AM, ZHOU Zhen-yu
>     > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>     <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>     > <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>     <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>> wrote:
>     >
>     >     I think the policy-requet for an socket connection is different
>     >     from http.
>     >     What the server will receive is not an http protocol, but an xml
>     >     string.
>     >
>     >     So when I tried to make a online whiteboard program last week.
>     >     I had to write these in the server side( in C++ ).
>     >
>     >     ----------------------
>     >     socket->Read(buf, BUFSIZE);
>     >     if( strcmp( buf, "<policy-file-request/>" ) == 0 )
>     >     {
>     >      const char response[] =
>     >     "<cross-domain-policy>\
>     >      <allow-access-from domain=\"*\" to-ports=\"4321\" />\
>     >      </cross-domain-policy>";
>     >      socket->Write(response, sizeof(response) );
>     >      socket->Destroy();
>     >      return NULL;
>     >     }
>     >
>     >     Josh McDonald wrote:
>     >     >
>     >     > Also, maybe we should look at the root of the problem -
> [...]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: