I do this all the time. I have two embedded images that are set as
bindable (openNav and closeNav). The image source is dependent on a
property named isOpen. I have attached a click handler to the image:

<mx:Image source="{isOpen == false?(openNav):closeNav}"
useHandCursor="true" buttonMode="true" mouseChildren="false"
id="thisToggleImage" click="toggleAccordionItem()" right="5" top="5" />

The toggleAccordionItem function just runs an effect to open or close my
panel.

private var shrinkBox:Resize = new Resize();
private var growBox:Resize = new Resize();

private function toggleAccordionItem():void
{
    if(isOpen)
    {
       shrinkBox.duration = 500;