Have you tried using Charles (Or another HTTP Proxy) to make sure
another HTTPService call is actually being made?

I must recommend using Charles for any server data exchange debugging
- it is indispensable.

Also, it appears that Flex packages up requests and sends them to the
server together. Maybe that is biting you. Seth Hodgson explains it
better here: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/flexcoders/message/113808