I have had similar problems when using I.E. 7/8.  Firefox has been
more consistent, but Safari (my least favorite browser) seems to be
working the best.

It appears to me that swfs are cached inconsistently.  If I update a
swf, I expect my browser to load the new version.  I have had to
delete my browser cache way too often to remedy this.

If you are using ColdFusion as a mediator, add this to the top of your
index.cfm (or whatever name yours) to help force a re-load the swfs
every time.  You might be able to accomplish this without ColdFusion
in the basic html template as well.

<cfheader name="Cache-control" value="no-cache, no-store,
must-revalidate, max-age=-1">
<cfheader name="Pragma" value="no-cache, no-store">
<cfheader name="Expires" value="-1">

I would rather my browser detect new versions of swfs... I don't like
having to re-download every page visit.  The software I am working on
must be loaded consistently if a change is made on my end.  It is
important for my customers to see everything up-to-date.

Let me know if you find a better solution.

Brian