--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Tracy Spratt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Sorry, this thread is one of the ones I am following for my own
> education.  It is beyond my current experience.

I found that my code wasn't adding the UID where I thought it was.
When the HierarchicalCollection called the UIDUtil class, the UIDUtil
class saw that my component was an IUID but had a null UID and set a
UID on it.

This suggests that it should have also been adding a mx_internal_uid
to my old class that did not implement IUID, but I could never get at
it.  In retrospect, I'm not really sure how much good it would have
done for it to do that, since it was always the _same_ instance that
it would have been added to.  Somewhere in the asdoc comments of one
of the classes I stepped through to find this was a comment to the
effect that two references to the identical object shouldn't have
worked in the first place.

So, in summary, I think that the HierarchicalCollection _can't_
handle this situation, because to do so it would have to make the
same instance different, which is why I needed to do something to
wrap the same instance in different instances of another class.

Live and learn.  At this rate my head will explode by mid July.

-Amy