Absolutely.

If you keep looking you'll find lots of examples of MXML components.
If you're using FlexBuilder, you can say New MXML Component. You can
add properties and override methods in an <mx:Script> block in the
MXML component. One thing you'll have to learn is that to instantiate
your custom components in a containing document, you put a namespace
declaration in the root tag of the containing document. For example,
if you create your component file in a directory hierarchy:

src->com->mycompany->view

you'll add this to the <mx:Application> tag (or other root tag):

xmlns:view="com.mycompany.view.*"

And instantiate your component as

This assumes MyComponent has a property called greeting.

I haven't actually done the following, amazingly enough, but you can
also turn on a compiler option called something like
-keep-generated-ActionScript to see what the MXML compiler produces,
should you find yourself really fascinated by how MXML and AS relate.