Okay, let me put this another way: it appears that I can load an SWF
and then instantiate each symbol in that SWF, and then load each symbol
to the 'stage' (or whatever it's called in Flex) separately.

I can certainly instantiate each symbol separately, and then align it
on stage, but it seems to me to be bass-ackward to do it that way,
expecially since I created the original SWF with everything in position.

Is there no way to access the attributes of the individual symbols
within an SWF without separately instantiating them?