I have a list of items and a corresponding form to edit values based
on what the user has selected.

If the user selects another by clicking the grid, I want to provide an
Alert popup if they have not saved their changes.  If the user clicks
OK, then the selection takes place as normal, but if they click
cancel, I want to cancel the change event and have the editor stay on
the selected item.

I can get the event to cancel by declaring an event handler for
MouseDown in the creationComplete event, and then having the following
lines in the MouseDown handler:

event.stopImmediatePropagation();
event.stopPropagation();
event.preventDefault();

The problem is that I can only successfully cancel the event
propogation from within this method.

If I want to have an alert box with an OK and Cancel button, how do I
achieve this?

I have tried calling an Alert handler and using a class event variable
to store the event that is received by the MouseDown handler, but
if I try to cancel the event from within the Alert handler, nothing
happens - I think it is too late at that point.

Can someone provide me with an example of how to cancel event
propogation on a grid click or other similar event based on the user's
selection from an Alert prompt?

Thanks!