Hi all:

When it comes to developing for Flash, Flex, and ActionScript I am a
total noob even though I've been a developer with 20+ years database
programming experience and 10+ years programming for the web. And I've
spent many hours trying to understand the right approach to my use-case
but am still feeling a long way from understanding.   I'm hoping after I
explain my use case you guys can help guide me in the right direction.
Thanks in advance.

Basically I need to develop a video widget whose marketing goal is viral
distribution. Tthe client wants me to use ClearSpring
<http://www.clearspring.com/>  which is a widget container
<http://www.testspring.com/docs/tech/widget-dev/container>  than manages
the platform nuances (i.e. FaceBook vs. MySpace vs. WordPress, etc.) and
also provides reporting.  It doesn't provide any widget functionality,
it just packages it to run on the different platforms.  As far as I can
tell, ClearSpring is a good thing but I've not been able to get it to
work yet because of my lack of Flash/Flex experience. But although
ClearSpring supports functionality using both HTML+CSS+Javascript and
Flash/Flex
<http://www.clearspring.com/docs/tech/distribution/destinations>  the
former doesn't work on Facebook and Facebook is a client requirement.

The functionality I need to build is simple.  I need to build a SWF that
contains a simple video player that will load and play an .FLV file (no
frills needed here, at least not for v1, just start and stop a video),
but it needs to be able to call a simple REST-based webservice to
retrieve the name of the current .FLV to play (i.e. the service will
just be an HTTP GET to a URL like
http://services.example.com/current-video/
<http://services.example.com/current-video/>  that returns the full URL
of the "current" .FLV file in text/plain, nothing more, and I plan to
use PHP for the REST service on the server.) If this were Javascript in
the browser with a video playing SWF (i.e. Flowplayer
<http://flowplayer.org/> )  it would be a no-brainer for me. But since I
need the client-side functionality packaged in a SWF file I don't know
what to do next.

So my questions are:

    1. In a nutshell, what's the difference between Flash or Flex or
ActionScript? (After much googling I still can't find a definitive
answer.)    2. Do I need to learn Flash or Flex or ActionScript, or all
of the above?    3. If more than one of the above, what do I use each
for?    4. Which Adobe Software would I need to buy for this?    5. Are
there free or open-source versions of software that would give me what I
need? (I'm not making that much on the project so I'd hate to have to
drop drop US$1000+ for an Adobe product .)    6. Are there any books
you'd highly recommend for what I need?    7. Are there any examples you
can point me to on the web of things very similar to what I am trying to
accomplish?

MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE for any and all help on this.

-Mike Schinkel
http://mikeschinkel.com <http://mikeschinkel.com>