Thanks but no dice.
I tried to explicitly set the dimensions on the mx:Image but still had
the same "flicker" result on the transition. For that matter I tried
to explicitly set the same image dimensions on it's containing mx:Box
and the ViewStack as well... but the same thing happens.

The best short-term workaround I could muster was to set the initial
selectedIndex to the second image which loads it, then set the
ViewStack to it's proper position via a actionscript call later. The
"flicker" behavior is still there, but I think it's slightly less
noticeable on the first image when the application loads then on the
second (but still a bit ugly).

Here's my ViewStack if anyone can see anything wrong with it:

<mx:ViewStack id="bgImageStack"
  width="100%" height="100%" creationPolicy="all selectedIndex="1"
  creationCompleteEffect="{blurIn}">
    <mx:Box width="1024" height="768"
      horizontalScrollPolicy="off" verticalScrollPolicy="off"
      hideEffect="{blurOut}" showEffect="{blurIn}">
        <mx:Image
          source="@Embed('assets/images/background/myBig01.jpg')"
          width="1024" height="768" scaleContent="false"
          horizontalAlign="left" verticalAlign="top"/>
    </mx:Box>
          source="@Embed('assets/images/background/myBig02.jpg')"
          width="1024" height="768" scaleContent="false"
          horizontalAlign="left" verticalAlign="top"/>
    </mx:Box>
</mx:ViewStack>