Alright, I think the mystery is solved.  I did indeed download the
latest source created a Flex project and imported the source
directory of that project into the project where my test file was.
Unfortunately, I forgot to REMOVE the downloaded swc file from the
lib directory so FB picked up the old library and not the new code.

So in summury, simply download the latest as3crypto source code and
compile it with AS3, otherwise, you may have issues.

Jim

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Boone" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Interesting enough, I was able to make it work as well on another
> machine.  I checked out the latest code from Subversion and copied
the
> code into a Flex library project then referenced the new library
swc.
> Everything worked as expected! I will try to use the library swc on
> my other machine to see if it continues to work there.
>
> For what it is worth, the checked-out code would not compile in
AS3.
> There are many places in the code with int.MAX_VALUE is used as a
> default parameter in a method call.  This must have been OK with
AS2
> but AS3 chokes.  You will need to replace these variables with the
> actual numbers.
>
> e.g.
>
> public function
> bmpString(size:int=int.MAX_VALUE,size2:int=0):BMPStringType {
>               return new BMPStringType(size, size2);
> }
>
> Thanks for your help Nick.
>
> Jim
>
> --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Uber_Nick" <nick.matelli@>
wrote:

> > Hi Jim,
> >
> > I copied your code into a project and pulled in the latest
As3Crypto
> > source.  Your project compiled and worked as expected.  I was
unable
> > to replicate the error, and would assume it's an environment
issue.

> > -Nick Matelli
> >
> > --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Boone" <jim@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I posted this on the As3Crypto discussion list but there is
very
> > > little activity there.  Maybe someone in this group has
encrypted
> > > something using an RSA public key that they might share.
> > >
> > > I am trying to read a RSA public key so I can encrypt data in
my
> > > application. I assembled a test app just to learn how the
library
> > > works. Unfortunately, I didn't get very far. I get the
message "I DONT
> > > KNOW HOW TO HANDLE DER stuff of TYPE 1" when I try to run the
> > > following code. I have downloaded the latest source from trunk
but I
> > > still get the error. I generated the private and public keys
using
> > > openssl as shown below:
> > >
> > > openssl genrsa -out private.pem 1024
> > > openssl rsa -in private.pem -pubout -out public.pem
> > >
> > > Any clue what is happening here?
> > >
> > > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
> > > <mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml";
> > > layout="absolute" creationComplete="init()">
> > >
> > >         <mx:Script>
> > >                 <![CDATA[
> > >                         import com.hurlant.util.Hex;
> > >                         import com.hurlant.util.der.PEM;
> > >                         import com.hurlant.crypto.rsa.RSAKey;
> > >
> > >                         private var publicKey:String = "-----
BEGIN
> > > PUBLIC KEY-----"+
> > >

> "MIGfMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBAQUAA4GNADCBiQKBgQCq63UvOM+wA3FYLl7X5v5US1bd"+
> > >

> "BP43wScM3boptegIIIO0ghhzhtmCUv7/278Jow9xI/za0CTf8DL9pSDu8+T+RY7U"+
> > >

> "WOMaX/IK9D9tqxztDdPu29qSJFenun1O9OL+HaUYaNWSTLirHMZN67/aITtuyV6+"+
> > >                         "ikAJfa9EOKAnT/CLIQIDAQAB"+
> > >                         "-----END PUBLIC KEY-----";
> > >
> > >                         private function init():void
> > >                         {
> > >                                 var rsaPublicKey:RSAKey =
> > > PEM.readRSAPublicKey(publicKey);
> > >
> > >                                 var message:ByteArray =
> > > Hex.toArray("now listen to this");
> > >                                 var encryptedMessage:ByteArray
= new
> > > ByteArray;
> > >
> > > rsaPublicKey.encrypt(message,encryptedMessage,message.length);
> > >

> trace(Hex.fromArray(encryptedMessage));
> > >                         }
> > >                 ]]>
> > >         </mx:Script>
> > > </mx:Application>
> > >
> > > ~~~~~~~ Error ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > >
> > > I DONT KNOW HOW TO HANDLE DER stuff of TYPE 1
> > > Error: Error #2030: End of file was encountered.
> > >         at flash.utils::ByteArray/readBytes()
> > >         at
> > > com.hurlant.util.der::DER$/parse()[C:\flex\crypto_1.3
\com\hurlant
> > > \util\der\DER.as:134]
> > >         at com.hurlant.util.der::PEM$/readRSAPublicKey()
[C:\flex
> > > \crypto_1.3\com\hurlant\util\der\PEM.as:84]
> > >         at
> > > Test/init()
[C:\flex\workspaces\smtoolsPrototype\Test\src\Test.mxml: