Well, it's pretty flexible. At one end, you can do as suggested below,
and use flex purely as a presentation layer, keeping business logic
and data storage on the server. At the opposite end, you can deploy as
an air application which functions as a pure desktop application with
all three layers on the user's machine. In such a scenario, you could
use the local database and/or filesystem as needed.

You can do pretty much anything you want anywhere along the continuum
between those two endpoints. Needless to say, once you get into the
world of air deployment, you open up all sorts of possibilities for
distributing responsibilities between the server and local
environment, and for sharing and/or synchronizing data between those
two locales. Although a browser-deployed solution will not have access
to local file system, never mind a local database, it will nonetheless
have a significant amount of local storage available to it. Needless
to say, the security situation is quite different depending on whether
what one deploys is a browser-based application, or an air application.

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "markgoldin_2000"