I don't think I ever use mx_internal variables, but occasionally I call or
override the methods. If you prefix your references with the namespace
identifier "mx_internal::" it becomes something akin to an admission that
"yeah ok, I probably shouldn't be messing with this" and lets other
developers as well as your future forgetful self know that that particular
reference is to something that's not part of the published API.

-Josh