Why bother extending it? Why not just build an MXML component consisting of
a DateChooser and a "Today" button in a vbox? Then either create methods in
your component that set values that the DateChooser binds to, or use
"customComponentInstance.dateChooser.selectedDate" or something similar to
access it? That's what I did when I wanted to add a "null this field" button
to DateField.

-Josh