Probably an old question, but I didn't find anything useful by
searching the group.

I'm using the trial version of Flex Builder 3 Standard. I create a new
Flex project, and, without writing any code, export a release build.
The swf file size is 147KB. Then I create a project that contains
nothing but an empty DataGrid. The file size grows to 242KB! Throw in
an AdvancedDataGrid, and it's up to 300KB.

Is there anything I can do to reduce the size? Even 147KB seems huge
for an empty app. And why does DataGrid pump it up so much? I heard
that the Flex framework was included in the Flash 9 runtime. If that's
true, adding a DataGrid should have no effect on output size.