I'll keep an eye on that new class at Ben's blog, but here's how I
solved the issue, by creating a custom itemRenderer. A bit of a
workaround, but more flexible than using the generic tileList:

<mx:TileList dataProvider="{uniXML}"
        labelField="groupID"
        iconField="thumbnail"
        height="100%"
        width="100%"
        rowHeight="200" columnWidth="125"
        itemClick="uniLoad(event)">
        <mx:itemRenderer>
                <mx:Component>
                        <mx:VBox horizontalAlign="center">
                                <mx:Image width="110" height="160"
                                        source="{data.thumbnail}"/>
                                <mx:Text id="thumbText" width="100%"
                                        height="22" fontSize="9"
text="{data.top.styleCode.womensStyleCode + '/' +
data.top.styleCode.mensStyleCode}" />
                        </mx:VBox>
                </mx:Component>
        </mx:itemRenderer>
</mx:TileList>

The itemClick loads a SWF that corresponds to the thumbnail in the
tileList. Works like a charm!

Thanks again for your direction.

Sherm

http://blog.xsive.co.nz/archives/233.