>  In my experience, Flex Builder "Debug" swfs have the same are
subject
> to the same crossdomain access restrictions that production swfs
have.

>  I'm a bit suspicious of the claim that this is not the case.

I think what is being said (if I'm understanding correctly) - running
FB3 to load external XML (RSS, APIs, etc) - the security does not
exist - crossdomain policy files are not required when running a SWF
through FB3.  However, when you deploy to "production", crossdomain
policy files ARE required.
  That being said - I think the issue lies with - why when we run
test in development no security is required, but then to run the same
application from a "production" site (running the swf in anything
other than FB3 test).  I (or anyone) may develope a fully functional
site in FB3, thinking every thing is "hunky dory", then move the SWF
to  production and "crash" - no crossdomain.xml file... then, as a
developer I have to either 1) contact the publisher of the RSS, API,
etc I'm trying to load, and ask them to kindly put up a
crossdomain.xml policy file - which isn't likely to happen... or 2)
Redevelop how my application loads data (no small thing).
  It kinda sucks I have to develop around an issue that doesn't exist
in development but does in production.  I understand the security
concerns, but I think it's more on the side of - if I can do it in
dev, why can't I do it in production?  It'd be nice to at least be
able to tell FB3 the app I'm developing will be loading from a site I
have no control over which may or maynot have a crossdomain policy
file...

(ching, ching - my 2 cents)...