adg.selectedItems and adg.selectedIndices are arrays.

selectedItems is an array of objects from adg's dataProvider taht are currently
selected,
and it is a read/write property.
selectedINdices otoh is an array of ints with indices for those same objects in
selectedItems.

so, to make it simple, if you want to select rows 2,4,6 you'd do something like:
var mySelection:Array = [2,4,6];
adg.selectedINdices = mySelection;

hth
julio