Maybe a better approach would be to have the available fixed filters change with the selected mode: I don’t think there would be many SSB operators interested in filterwidths below 1kHz or above 3kHz or so. However, some more intermediate values available at the push of just one button would be more effective. The same would hold for the other modes.

 

Additional to this, you might add being able to modify the fixed filter widths by right clicking on the relevant button and entering or selecting the desired value.

 

73 de Joe, AB1DO

 

 

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]On Behalf Of Gary Schmidt W5ZL
Sent: 30 May 2005 10:47
To: 'FlexRadio Mailing List'
Subject: [Flexradio] Some Filter Selection GUI Thoughts

 

In 1.3.5 Eric included keyboard shortcuts for, among other things, selecting filters and I have implemented those in my ShuttlePro controller. Using FILTER WIDER or NARROWER buttons I can click back and forth among the various filter selections available. That’s good, but not good enough yet.

 

For example, I find myself wishing there were something narrower than the 2.1 Khz but wider than the 1 KHz preset filters for SSB operation on a crowded band (geez, I guess the cat’s out of the bag – I DO occasionally operate phone!). Yes I know I can roll my own 1.8 Khz filter as one of the two Variable presets, but that’s not convenient for use with the ShuttlePro filter rotation. What I’d eventually like is for my Variable filters to somehow automatically get slotted into my virtual filter bank so they are more naturally selectable using the Shuttle. Maybe they could retain a slightly different button look to indicate they’re Variable. Also, in terms of just basic cleanup of the GUI, I’d suggest there be GUI preferences where you specify which filters you want “available” in any given mode. For example, I surely don’t need to see anything under about 1.5 Khz when I’m in LSB or USB mode, and I would seldom be interested in having more than 2 Khz of bandwidth while operating CW. I’d rather they not be cluttering up my console. You may want to have all of them available in all modes just like they are now, so you could specify them in your Preference settings.

 

While on the subject, I can’t picture a time when I’ll ever intentionally want to operate DSB. Why not eliminate that from the available selections (or at least give us the option to suppress it via Preferences)? Also, I guess there’s some reason to have CWU and CWL (I think Icom calls the opposite CW sideband “CW-R” for reverse), but I’d conceal it as a preference rather than give it prime real estate on the console GUI. In my opinion we ought to be making room for really important functions (like CW keying speed and dynamic filter bandwidth settings a la Orion and Bill Tracey) where continuous access is really important.

 

Gary W5ZL

Reply via email to