Having not seen the code that does this, but having
been bitten in this fashion with large amounts of COM
ports on a system with Win32, I recall that there is
some issue with names >9. In which case, one needs to
do the CreateFile with "\\.\COMxx" vs. "COMxx"
That is:
use \\.\COM12 instead of COM12: