Phil.

Using a little test java program. it appears the sense of DSR and CTS are reversed. There's also a little weirdness with DTR on ComN+1 - it toggles both DSR and CTS of ComN, you'd only expect it to toggle only DSR.

The sequence of the bits I saw is:

ComN            ComN+1
RTS  false      false
DTR  false         false
DSR  true       true
CTS  true       true

The DSR and CTS values are reversed of what you expect

If I toggle RTS on ComN: CTS on ComN+1 toggles as expected (but still reverse polarity)

RTS  true       false
DTR  false         false
DSR  true       true
CTS  true       false

Toggling DTR on ComN DTR on COMN+1 toggles as expected (but still reversed polarity)

RTS  true       false
DTR  true          false
DSR  true       false
CTS  true       false

Now extra weirdness happens, if I toggle DTR on Com N+1, both DSR and CTS on ComN toggle -- seeming to indicate the virtual wiring of the higher port has DTR of N+1 tied to both DSR and CTS of N

RTS  true       false
DTR  true          true
DSR  false      false
CTS  false      false

If I toggle DTR of N+1 back to false. DSR and CTS of ComN go back to true

RTS  true       false
DTR  true          false
DSR  true       false
CTS  true       false

Finally toggling RTS of N+1 only toggles CTS of ComN (but the sense is reversed)

RTS  true       true
DTR  true          false
DSR  true       false
CTS  false      false

If you want the Java test driver let me know -- simple little program to let you toggle the bits and see their state. Requires a JRE and javax.comm extension.

Regards,

Bill