N4CSV wrote:

Hello all,
I am in the process of building my new SDR1000 boards into a full blown transceiver and wanted to offer these remarks. One of the most remarkable things about the SDR1000 is how the composite I believe this would produce a very loud and clean signal, probably better than anything out there at the moment. Could this be accomplished in software? I don't know. Is it possible to produce a software clipper that emulates an RF SSB clipper? Again, that I don't know. I believe a good starting point to all this would be to adjust the ALC time constants as I have outlined above. Then perhaps more could

wscompand's running in the compressor mode is exactly that, a soft limiter. It squares up the envelope considerably if you push
the control up to "10".

Here is what I am going to do, I am going to figure out the best regression line at the place of maximum slope on this compression curve. That slope will tell you how much gain is being applied at that agnitude. If it is 10 dB, I am going to call it "10 dB of compression". This will take a few minutes to figure out and when I have a few minutes, I will do it. Don't let us forget. Using Frank's description of the function, almost any of you who have had a little calculus and remember that d(exp(f(x))/dx is exp(f(x))* f'(x) can do this. ;-)

Bob
N4HY

73,
Phil