Hi Eric,  Thanks for the reply.

Yes I did import the database from 1.4.3 (first round) and I also tried a clean
install of 1.4.4 without importing the database and running the wizard.  Same
behavior in each case.

I also tried going into the Windows control panel and disabling completely the
internal sound card.  That does the trick.  However, then I can't use MixW or
anything else.

Maybe its time for a Delta 44.

73, John W9EN