Title: PC Specifications for SDR-1000

Thanks a lot to all that provided there comments and to Julius W2IHY who called with some interesting observations.

I have decided to go with the fastest machine I can afford to build.  I selected the AMD Athlon 4400+ 2X (dual core) with the VIA chipset (Asus motherboard).  This combination had the best floating-point performance per $ ratio.  The dual core should come in handy when the SDR software evolves additional signal processing features that will require benefit from on-chip multi-tasking.  The “real” fun was finding a good all steel case and a FCC Class B certified p/s to ensure this would not be a spurious RF generator.

In the mean time I have been evaluating Windows XP 64 and my conclusion is that it is not ready for primetime.  The 32-bit emulator (WoW) seems to work OK.  The biggest issue is that there is no support for 16-bit applications (WoWoW) and a lot of applications use 16-bit install programs (ouch).  Also there are no print drivers and limited device drivers available.

In addition, there are not any real 64-bit applications (I don’t consider IE a “real” application  I’m a FireFox guy) available, so I am holding off on Microsoft’s new bloatware version for a while.

Thanks again for all the advice.

73 es tx de W4TME

-Tim
---