Sounds like you want dx. Don't overlook the hustler 4, 5, or 6btv. They play very well, handle high power, and are cheap.

73,
Steve  wd0ct

----- Original Message ----- From: "Larry Loen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <FlexRadio@flex-radio.biz>
Sent: Monday, September 12, 2005 12:40 AM
Subject: [Flexradio] OT -- What Antenna, con't.

Well, I'm feeling a bit stuck.

I studied around and decided I wanted to give the Sigma 80 a try.
Vertical dipole looked like a good idea.

Problem is, it seems to be universally backordered, so that's out.  A
friend who has them (and likes them) suggests I may wait quite a while
to get one.  Nothing on eBay either, I looked.

I may just settle for ordering the HF9V, a mult-band vertical, and have
done with it.

I was thinking of doing that anyway as a secondary antenna to put out a
bit better signal on all bands.  If you're a popgun, one way to make up
for it is to get on as many bands as you can.

But, will it do the job on 80?  Like most verticals of this sort, it has
a fairly narrow bandwidth, but so would the sigma.  The real question is
whether it will "get out" well enough on transmit.

Someone claims to have done 5BDXCC with it from Germany, so I suppose
it's got enough distance in it to do the job.  Maybe.

And, presumably, it is actually in stock, so I can get it up before the
snow flies around here.

Not what I was really looking for, but maybe it will do.  I can see
myself throwing radials on the ground this winter in addition to
whatever I can bury this fall, still.

Any other last minute suggestions?  This is like Plan C.

Larry WO0Z