> I put up a HF-2V on Oct. 27th last year after the
> hurricanes came through.  I put down about 30 radials
> 50 to 60ft long.  I worked 100 countries on 40 in 3
> weeks.  I worked 100 countries on 80M in 7 weeks. All
> on CW using 1000W.
>
> There are ways to make the Butternut "broadband" by
> tapping the coil and using relays to get you to
> various parts of the band.  There are articles on the
> Butternut yahoo group showing how to do this.
>
> I later put up a full size 80M vertical and it was a
> better performer than the Butternut.  Unless you can
> get up a full size vertical there probably isn't much
> advantage between the compromise antennas like the
> Sigma or the HF-2V etc.  Pick one stick it up and have
> some radio fun.
>
> 73  W9OY

Lee, that's a wonderfully helpful note.  I did look at the 2V, but if I go
by raw 'specs' the 9V would be just about as good (at least in terms of
bandwidth).  And, I could be on other bands, especially 30m, and maybe put
up something else next year.

Do you have any idea what, if anything, I'd be giving up on 80 with the 9V
over the 2V?

Clearly, I'd love to replicate your performance and I think I could manage
it as I now have a good KW amplifier (if I can just get it on-line -- 80
only would be enough, too).

Larry WO0Z

PS, I seem to have a "good enough" antenna on 40, having worked VK6, for
instance, in the recent past.  It's 80 and secondarily 30 that I need the
most help on, but 80 comes first.