At 08:43 PM 9/13/2005, Jim Lux wrote:
Something to throw into the requirements pot:
It sure would be nice if the SDR (software) supported MIL-STD-188 style ALE
(-141) and digital comm (-110).  Not that it should be a part of the SDR,
but whatever interfaces there are should support it.

On the performance testing aspect, I haven't gone through the recent test
results Bob posted, nor, for that matter matched up the QST test results
against MIL-STD-188, but if someone else has already done that, it would be
useful.

I suspect that the run of the mill ham rig won't meet the requirements of
188 (certainly, my old FT-757 doesn't meet the frequency stability
requirement), but the SDR might.

One further note... if we wanted to actually do some verification testing against MIL-STD-188 towards the end of providing EMCOMM with SDR, I'm sure that the JPL amateur radio club could devote some of its considerable technical resources to the activity. Not only do we have access to the required test equipment, but we also have people who have the measurement expertise.

James Lux, P.E.
Spacecraft Radio Frequency Subsystems Group
Flight Communications Systems Section
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena CA 91109
tel: (818)354-2075