Folks

This is just a statement of my motivation and the motivation of others like Tony – KB9YIG, Phil VK6APH, Bill – KD5TFD,  Terry – W0VB and other idea contributors. Since there are quite a number of new folks and I gather from some of the questions I have received for the D-44, there are some misunderstandings.  I will give some history.

In the ‘early days’ when the ‘core group of SDR enthusiasts’ gathered on Teamspeak and started tossing around hardware ideas, the group who became regulars and fantastic creators who assembled there, started ‘hitting’ on hardware ideas to ‘add’ to the of the SDR 1000 where we could. Kits like the QSD daughter card, Universal Controller Board, Parallel Port Booster, 10 Watt Amplifier, SoftRock40 and a few others resulted. Mostly Tony and I agreed that anything we came up with would be offered to Gerald – K5SDR if he chose to market it, or if not, we would produce a kit of parts and offer them at Zero cost to those interested in purchasing. Tony’s brilliant design expertise has really pulled all these ideas together and produced an end product which works. It was a thrill for me to go through the design and commentary process, in spite of the fact, I have little electronics expertise to contribute. I am basically a facilitator spending my children and granddchildren’s inheritance, doing what I truly enjoy! This IS to me, ham radio at it’s best!

This is in keeping with the contributory nature of the SDR-1000, which indeed, is a USER DEFINED RADIO. We the users have incredible talent to add to this already fine product, and advance it beyond original concept. Just the by-the-by in the past few days from Lyle Johnson, Dan Taloe, Jim Lux, Ahti and others are an example of the folks interested in the edge of technology. This IS to me, ham radio at it’s best!

I figure that as long as I don’t have a $grand$ or 2 in motion, at any given time,  I’ll just keep offereing stuff that I would like to own, to others of this fantastic, leading edge community.   If it helps, or you feel it is worth it, pay, if not, keep it, and try the next kit and pay for that one. Guarantees don’t get that much better than that!

Thanks