I'd like to reiterate the reasonable prices on
developer-level hobbyist machines : One can get
refurbished HP machines (hpshopping.com) with 3.2 GHz
processors and speedy buses, 200Gb storage, etc. that
work great for developers (1GB of RAM) for $699.00.
Sure, it's running Windows XP Home, but that works ok
for most development environments. I would suspect
that were I to replace the LCD display in an ICOM RIG,
the part alone would be more than that.

Most of the time it's really not cost effective to
upgrade hardware more than 2 yrs old, factoring in
time, aggravation, driver issues, etc.

Similarly, for a new generic machine, I've found it's
really not cost effective any longer to buy
build-it-yourself or white-box PCs.  Comparing
processor/memory/disk of local build-ur-own vs. the
'majors', the build-ur-own come out to MORE money
around here (Seattle).

Caveat: I don't work for hp, and have no interest in
them selling machines to anyone.