The CAT comm port code should work with a physical port, at least it did at one point. Has been a while since I've run it in that mode.

Do the SteppIR docs on using a CAT controlled radio say anything about flow control settings? I don't recall what flowcontrol we set on the port when we open it, I do see that we don't provide a way to set it (argh).

The error you sent me in a private email makes it look a little like we failed to open the comm port - it seems we're attempting to close an already closed port and I know I've seen the code get into that error path when we failed on the initial open of the port. Is there any chance there's another program using COM1 -- maybe a PDA sync program or some such. Also check that the CW keyer is not set to use COM1.

Next step is for you to download and install Portmon from http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Portmon.html and trace the failing scenario and send me the resulting trace file. That should give me some idea what is going in.

Regards,

Bill  (kd5tfd)