Alain F6GXA had emailed me privately earlier this week about how to interconnect the Extigy USB and about settings, etc. This is what I sent him in case anyone else needs it. It’s incomplete, but all I could remember on short notice. Thanks to Terry W0VB and Bill KD5TFD who helped me when I was struggling with the setup. I found the Extigy to be a very adequate performer – at least on SSB there was no obvious difference in performance between our Extigy/laptop setup and our D-44/Desktop station at V31.

Gary W5ZL

From: Gary Schmidt W5ZL [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 7:47 AM
To: 'Alain Berthelon'
Subject: RE: SB Extigy USB

Hello Alain,

Here’s how I configured mine:

Connections

·         SDR “To Line In” to Extigy Line In (on front panel)

·         SDR “To Line Out” to Extigy “Front” (on rear panel)

·         SDR “Spkr” to powered speaker input

·         Mic plugs directly into “Mic In” on front panel of Extigy

·         Headphones plug ONLY into headphone jack of powered speakers, NOT into Extigy “Headphone” jack (otherwise low-Z headphones will load down the sound card and you will get no transmit power)

ASIO4ALL

·         I use ASIO4ALL v1.8 which I understand may be more compatible than using later versions (ask Eric W)

·         Open ASIO control panel and set the Audio Device to “Creative SB Extigy”

Creative Extigy Settings

·         Open the Creative Audio Mixer in the Creative Extigy control center (I created desktop shortcuts for the ASIO4ALL control panel, the Extigy control panel, N1MM and the current version of PowerSDR, and clump them in a cluster in one corner of my desktop)

o       Set for “2 speakers”

Power SDR Setup

·         On Audio tab set sound card selection to “Sound Blaster Extigy (USB)”

·         Driver, Input, Output all to ASIO or Wunschel’s ASIO4ALL

Let me know how this works out for you.

73,

Gary W5ZL