Ross,

1296, 23 cm,  is probably the simplest band to get on and there is a
bunch of activity worldwide.  Plug EME into your favorite search
engine and spend a few weeks there.

See http://www.kuhne-electronic.de/english/frameset.htm for a 28 MHz -
>1296 MHz transverter, 200 w or bigger amp, and receive preamp and
bring money.  Then a minimum 2-3 m tvro dish (free most places)
steerable in at least one axis, preferably two,  a nice septum feed
>from OK1DFC, a bunch of expensive coax, relays, and connectors.  You
already have a great I.F. strip :>)

Then, if you are as old and out of shape as me, a 20-30 year old
helper with endless enthusiasm.  I have most of these things
accumulated but I'm still not yet up and running again.

See http://www.rcallen.com for pictures of my first efforts 30 years
ago.

Good luck,
Richard W5SXD