Tim Ellison wrote:

OK, here is the skinny.  After reading all the posts today on the Fatal
Error Syndrome, it kept occurring to me that something in the video
driver / DirectX  arena was probably the culprit, so I focused my energy
there.  I ran DXDIAG, an it said everything was fine and dandy, but I
had my suspicions since it took forever for the Direct Draw test to
start.  Bottom line is that Windows really can't 100% fix itself.  You
have to do it for it. After trying just about every combination of
driver setting, I decided to punt.
With thanks to Tim, I followed his instructions, loaded new DirectX and Nvidia driver and lo and behold...Beta 8 works!

Bad news part. CPU usage 7-8% with GDI+, jumps to 68-72% with DirectX!

--
_ _ _ _ _ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ John L. Sielke
( W )( 2 )( A )( G )( N )  http://w2agn.net